I hope you have your champagne chilling because in just a few hours it will be time to obligatorily take a sip of it and then kiss who ever you are dating, married to or just happen to be standing next to at midnight. So many people love the taste of champagne but only have it on special occasions. I say fuck that. Have it whenever you want it. One time I made hamburgers for dinner and served it with a bottle of fine sparkling wine. It really complimented the Costco meat patties, Miracle Whip and American cheese, not to mention how wonderfully it paired with the tater tots.
Opening a bottle of champagne takes a bit of practice so I thought I would share with you my immense experience of opening them. And before you think I am a total alcoholic (I am), this experience comes from six years as a brunch server where I opened about twenty bottles a day. Most people think that successfully opening bottle of champagne means it spews out all over the place in a premature ejaculation kind of way. Not cool. Or you could do it the fancy way with a sword but why risk cutting off a finger?
Here is the right way to open a bottle of champagne:
- Take off that foil crap that is all around the cork. Use your teeth if you have to.
- Now you want to remove that wire cage thing. You have to put your thumb over the cork in case the pressure has built up and it’s ready to pop. Unless you shook the bottle too much, it’s probably fine. Just don’t point the bottle at your nether regions or eyes. Twist the wire counter-clockwise six half rotations and then take it off. Or leave it on. Whatever.
- Now you can put a towel over it in prep to remove the cork. I don’t do that though because I’m a pro. Grip the cork and now start twisting the bottle. Not the cork. The bottle. Kinda pull it at the same time and you should feel it start to loosen and rise from the bottle.
- Keep control of the cork even though it’s totally tempting to shoot that bitch at somebody. Don’t do it. It really brings down a party when someone actually loses an eye. You want to let it release with a soft “poofy” noise like the sound a fart makes when you think it’s going to be silent, but it’s not. You don’t want that loud pop.
- It’s open. Pour that baby into a beer bong and go to town.
The movies always show people popping the cork and then laughing as the champagne spills all over the place. What they don’t show is what a pain in the ass it is to clean up all that champagne. They also don’t show me sitting in the corner at the end of the night all pissed off because we are out of champagne because half of it is on the fucking floor.
Happy New Year!!