Today is the day that sucks the most to work in a restaurant because everyone in the country is out celebrating the independence of our nation by grilling hot dogs, eating watermelon, drinking beers and blowing off their fingertips with fireworks. So many restaurants refuse to close today because they think that someone might want to come in and order a burger instead of having one they cooked for themselves with their family. No one ever does. It’s one of the slowest days of the year and what makes it even shittier is that in the food service world, holiday pay is virtually unheard of. So if you get scheduled to work on July 4th, you can count on making about ten bucks and missing out on any and all bar-b-q’s that you have been invited to. So in case you are at work today, here are a few things you can do to help pass the time since you probably won’t have any customers:
- use the ketchup and mustard to create fireworks patterns on the table tops.
- take a handful of cocktail straws (red and white ones) and design your very own personal United States flag.
- use blue curacao, grenadine and cream to come up with some special patriotic cocktail. Feel free to experiment. A lot. If all else fails, drink vodka.
- put Splenda, Sweet and Low and Sugar packets into an empty milk carton and then suspend it from the ceiling. Hit the carton with a broom handle until it bursts open and call it your Fourth of July piñata.
- find the oldest bottle of ketchup in the restaurant. (You can identify it by the bubbles on the inside of the bottle.) Place it in the sun and wait for it to explode. Fireworks.
- place sour cream on your nose and pretend it is sunscreen and you are at the beach.
- stand next to the grill in the kitchen and imagine that you are on your deck standing in front of your own bar-b-q pit.
- open up all the brown sugar in the restaurant and pour it on the floor. Take off your shoes and take a walk “on the beach.”
- gather a handful of tomatoes and go to the roof. Throw them onto the parking lot to mimic the fireworks that you will be missing.
- put a handful of peppercorns in your mouth and have your own watermelon seed spittin’ contest.
- stick a feather in your hat and call it macaroni.
- click here to order my book.
Happy Fourth of July.