Olive Garden Customer Not Happy About Trans Employee

You know me, guys. I’m always standing up for the rights of restaurant workers and saying the things we’re not allowed to say when we’re on the clock. Well, fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy blog post. Someone, who shall remain forever and always anonymous, sent me a photo of a letter that made its way to an Olive Garden from a very unhappy customer:

To whom it concerns:

We dined at your restaurant today and were greeted by a guy who think’s he’s a girl. This repulses us, and we ask that you please do something about this. We do not wish to be greeted by sexual deviants at your restaurant. You say you are a family restaurant, but when you put perverts out front like that, it certainly is not family friendly. Thank you.

-Cheryl Nielson

I have so many things to unpack here it feels like I need my own personal valet. First of all, why does Cheryl even need to waste a stamp on something like this? The United States Postal Service has enough to deal with without having to ferry Cheryl’s bullshit opinion across town. But let’s fully digest her letter, shall we?

“We dined at your restaurant today and were greeted by a guy who think’s he’s a girl.” Maybe she IS a girl. Or perhaps he’s a “he.” Possibly they’re even a “they!” Whatever the case may be, the pronoun of the person behind the host stand at Olive Garden doesn’t affect the taste of the Five Cheese Ziti al Forno.

“This repulses us, and we ask that you please do something about this.” The only thing repulsive about this is that Cheryl thought it was a good idea to send the letter at all. Clearly, she didn’t think about how someone would feel when they were called “repulsive.” She wants someone to do something about it, but what is there to do other than embrace people for who they are?

“We do not wish to be greeted by sexual deviants at your restaurant.” Trans or non-binary people aren’t anymore sexually deviant than a middle-aged woman who eats at Olive Garden and has missionary sex with her husband once a month and gives two blow jobs a year (his birthday and on their wedding anniversary.) Generalize much, Cheryl?

“You say you are a family restaurant, but when you put perverts out front like that, it certainly is not family friendly.” And where exactly should a person who lives their life as their true self be “put” if not out front? Hiding them in the kitchen doesn’t mean they no longer exist. All that does is is add another layer of extra-strength idiocy onto the bubble you live in. And family friendly? This person whose job is to greet customers as they walk into Olive Garden has a family too and hopefully that family is nothing like Cheryl. Olive Garden does consider itself a family restaurant. Even their commercials says, “when you’re here, you’re family.” Darden Restaurants, the company that owns Olive Garden, says their “values have been forged over an 80-plus-year history. We look to these values — Inclusion & Diversity; Respect & Caring; Always Learning, Always Teaching; Integrity & Fairness; Teamwork; Excellence; Being of Service — as we work to fulfill our mission.” “Inclusion and diversity,” Cheryl. Did you see that? It looks like Olive Garden is standing behind their core beliefs and if you don’t like that, you don’t have to fucking eat there.

“Thank you. -Cheryl Nielson.” No, thank YOU Cheryl. Thank you for signing your name to this letter. I put a lot of thought into whether or not I should block out the last name, but ultimately decided to share it. I figured if she was brave enough to sign her name and share her opinion with total strangers at Olive Garden, then she should be brave enough to have it shared with a few more people on the Internet. Besides, there are approximately 396,678 people named Cheryl in the United Staes and 12,297 people with the last name of Nielson. No one really knows who this Cheryl Nielson is. I’m not saying the town she lives or even the state and there’s no photo of her. Just her name and her signature. Cheryl will know who she is if she ever sees this post and so will her family and friends. Hopefully, one of them will tell her how absolutely wrong she was to have written this letter.

And to the person that Cheryl wrote this letter about: you keep doing you and living your truth. Continue greeting people at the Olive Garden and be grateful that you are comfortable in your own skin. That is a gift that a lot of people do not have. You’re fortunate. Cheryl just needs to pull the unlimited breadstick out of her ass and focus on her own life.

32 thoughts on “Olive Garden Customer Not Happy About Trans Employee

1. Tiff

Jesus H. Christ! Leah and Cheryl deserve each other. What the actual fuck is wrong with people like this?! Smfh!

2. Kelly c

How scary it must be for you then to live in the year 2021. What will you do in the future you ignorant hillbilly? You’re the outcast nowadays?’!?! If you don’t like it I suggest not going out to eat lol!!

3. Cab

As I understand it, the job of a server is to answer any questions I may have about menu items, to let me know if I want to make changes to a menu item if it is possible to do that, and to do what they can to adjust anything I don’t care for.

I don’t think any of these things have to do with gender identity. As a customer I have zero interest in your personal life and don’t think I have any reason to comment on it. If I am seated in a comfortable location eating food that I like but didn’t have to cook, you are aces in my book.

4. Paula

This letter enrages me. Literally. I wonder what the response was that was returned to her. Did the person being attacked see this letter? How could any mature human send such a horrible, vicious letter! How can she possibly think she is right in doing so.
    Karma is a bitch. Isn’t that right? She should really be careful how she treats others. It can end badly for her.

5. Jacqueline Clair Baker

I believe we are only given one thing to do on this earth, that is to love one another. Clearly Cheryl missed the day they taught us this in the lessons on life.

1. Bambi

Darden Restaurants, Inc. As of April 2017, the firm owns two fine dining restaurant chains: Eddie V’s Prime Seafood and The Capital Grille; and six casual dining restaurant chains: Olive Garden , LongHorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, Yard House and Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen.

6. LISA C

I’m waiting for it to come out as a hoax and that the letter was actually written by the server. I don’t think a person who would write such a letter would actually sign it. I hope I’m wrong.

1. Jeanie DB

You would, unfortunately, be surprised. People who think they’re “taking back the country” are inordinately proud of themselves.

7. Jo

Leah Larsen,
    I have to wonder if you have ever even known an LGBTQIA+ person? I am a middle-age woman who has had the best friends of my life in most categories. People are people. Love is love is love is love, etc. Educate yourself after you crawl out from the rock from which you live under

8. Natasha

Hey Leah Larsen~ you sweet pea are a gem! I pray that you don’t have to come to grips with your child being beaten because they are living for them. Not for you. You sweetie are a horrible person. You have no idea what you’re talking about. None at all. Have a great Sunday babe. I’ll pray for you at church.

9. Leah Larsen

I stand behind Cheryl! It is an abomination. Try to cancel Xheryl, try to cancel me you FUCK! Changing your sex is not normal, it is sick. Sick, sick. And that is the last thing I want to see when I go out to a restaurant. I can tell you I have never eaten at Olive Garden, and as long as they hire the cry babies freaks, I choose to take my business elsewhere! Fucking FREAKS

1. Kelly

Wait….what the actual fuck. YOU ARE THE ABOMINATION! Crawl into a hole. Who are you to judge anyone? Especially someone you know nothing about? GFY.

2. Jennifer

What will u do if this is your child ? And or is way to scared to tell u now 😳 don’t debate with me . Won’t work but so many other problems in world !!! At least she has a job 🤷🏻‍♀️

3. The Bitchy Waiter Post author

I don’t use this word very often and I save it for when the occasion really calls for it. You’re a cunt.

4. Ellen

Assuming you’re right (that transsexual people are sick), shouldn’t you be taking mercy on them and praying for them to get well? I would imagine you call yourself a Christian, as so many of your type do. They miss out on some key bible concepts, such as judging not lest ye be judged.

P.S. Transsexual people are protected by federal law — a restaurant would be breaking the law if they refused to hire someone on that basis. So you could see a transsexual person as a server anywhere. Please only eat at home, ‘k?

5. Brian

My oldest child identifies as a boy. He was born my little girl. Regardless of whether he identifies as a boy or even a fucking unicorn, I will always love and support him! I will also defend his right to be who and what he wants to be with my very life!! Pull your head out of your Bible thumping, Trump supporting, old fashioned thinking closed minded ass before speaking. The only cry baby freak I see in this feed is you!

6. Rich

Wow Leah Larson doesn’t like living on planet earth. Maybe you should go find someplace else in the universe to live by yourself where no one will have to worry about living up to your pathetic standards when it’s none of your business. If you wanna bully someone be prepared for someone to stand up to your harassment. 😉

7. Rosalie

Your a fucking idiot. And what’s worse is you choose to be. We may not all understand someone else’s struggles so we don’t have a right to judge them.

10. Laura Morris

Thank you, Bitchy Waiter. There are some awful people out there that need to be held accountable for their awful behavior. Just be kind, people. Please and Thank you.