Texas Restaurant Serves Up a Side of Homophobia

Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 12.23.19 PM

Big Earl’s

Oh, boy, look what I found: hatred against gay people in a restaurant. A restaurant/live bait shop called Big Earl’s (Of course it’s called Big Earl’s…) in a sad little town called Pittsburg, Texas is making news because a waitress told two gay men, Collin Dewberry (best name ever) and his partner Kelly Williams that they were not welcome to come back because they “don’t serve fags.” They were told this after they had eaten and paid their bill because even a dumbass business owner like Big Earl Cheney knows that dollars spend the same way whether they come from gay people or straight people, so you may as well get those dollars before you call your customers a couple of fags. He says that he doesn’t have a problem with them being gay, he just didn’t think their behavior was appropriate in a family restaurant. I’ll tell you what I think is inappropriate in a family restaurant: selling live fucking bait, that’s what. Who the fuck goes to a live bait shop to get their tackle and fishing supplies and then decides it looks like a nice place to get a burger? Hillbilly motherfuckers like Big Earl, that’s who. The way Big Earl talks, you would think the two guys were bare-boning at Booth 5 using I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter for lube and an old stale donut for a cock ring, but actually, all that he saw was their legs touching. The horror! His daughter was the waitress who was serving them and she is the one who told the guys they didn’t like fags in their restaurant. In fact, their company manifesto is posted right on the door. It reads:

Welcome to Big Earl’s Where MEN act like MEN and LADIES act like LADIES. NO SAGGY PANTS. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

When KLTV reporter Summer Dashe (here is her Twitter profile. Tell her I said hello and thank you.) asked him what that sign meant, he said, “The same thing it says. That a man’s supposed to stand up and be a leader. He’s not supposed to be a woman. He’s not supposed to come in here in a dress.” Ummm, I don’t think Collin or Kelly were wearing dresses, Big Earl and if we’re going to judge people on what thy wear, can we talk about your stretched out grey t-shirt that you bought in a pack of three from the Wal-Mart odds and ends bin? And don’t even get me started on that Colonel Mustard mustache you’re rocking. It looks like it’s six days away from mutton chops. And if you want men to stand up and be leaders, why don’t you take your own advice and stand up and lead your daughter to a cliff so you can both jump off? Big Earl and his daughter, Lil’ Earlietta have got something against gay men and saggy pants but Earl is allowed to have saggy jowls and his daughter is allowed to be anything but a lady. Yeah, that makes sense.

Collin and Kelly have lived in East Texas their whole lives and they say they have never had that kind of hatred directed at them. Having grown up in Texas and also spending my fair share of time in East Texas, I have to say that I am amazed this is the first time it’s ever happened to them. When I was teenager, my nickname in high school was pretty much “Fag.” It was a good day if it went by without someone yelling that to me in the hallway or in the cafeteria. I regularly saw my name written on the bathroom walls calling me “fag.” One time on the school bus some douche bag stood up and announced that he had invented Fag Proof Glasses. With much fanfare, he pulled out a pair of Rayban sunglasses, placed them on his face and yelled out to the entire school bus that he could no longer see me or my best friend Michael. “Hey look y’all, all the fags disappeared!” Charming, right? Gotta love Texas in the 80’s.

I went to look at Big Earl’s Facebook page and not surprisingly, most people are disgusted by the story. What is surprising though is that every time I look at the page, the number of people who “like” Big Earl’s grows just a little bit. That means that there are plenty of people who stand behind Big Earl. Personally, I would never stand behind Big Earl because he looks like the type that could let a fart fly out at any given moment and I like my hair way too much to see it burned off by the fumes of a homophobic asshole’s asshole. The restaurant is still proud of their stance, claiming, “The amount of support we have had has been greatly appreciated. The numerous phone calls received tonight from people that feel the same way we do has been outstanding. We have new customers due to the news story, and will continue to feel the same way.” They are happy with all the new business that is flooding their restaurant/live bait shop and I can only assume that the customers who are showing their support are equally idiotic and back-ass-ward. I have held on to this post for a few days because Big Earl took down his Facebook page after it was bombarded with comments from smart people who know that love makes the world go ‘round. I wanted to wait until their page was back up again so we could all contribute our thoughts to the story, but in the meantime, here is their website. Go check it out. You can also see their Yelp page which is full of great reviews. If and when their Facebook page is up again, you can count on me to let you know.

Fuck you, Big Earl.

update: they have a new Facebook page!

23 thoughts on “Texas Restaurant Serves Up a Side of Homophobia

1. Peach

Not a big surprise that they would still find support in East Texas though. Once you leave Houston it’s like travelling backwards in time to the Civil Rights era. Ever here of Vidor?

2. Jenn

Sadly, when I went to show someone the Yelp reviews last night, the creatively awesome ones had been removed. Apparently Big Earl didn’t like that word had gotten out about his off-the-menu tossed salad special. 🙁

3. sally

When I was in school in the 80s the most popular “it” girl in school refused to listen to Elton John when she found out he was gay. He had been was her FAVORITE, Oh my god–like totally, and she knew EVERY word to EVERY song. She was the big hair, blonde cheerleader type who moved to guess where after gradution? Yep, Texas.

4. Blaze

BW, you HAVE to check out this restaurant near my TINY rural Idaho town. ( I know you’re expecting a whole lot by this point, huh) Its called Waha Bar and Grill, located in the Waha Mountains, where there’s more guns and cows than people. And CERTAINLY no gay people 😉
    They will NOT SERVE beer and soda products from companies that “have chosen to take a political stance by becoming corporate partners of the NGLCC (National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce). The NGLCC is an organization of American businesses unified by a common objective of securing social, economic, and political gains for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities. ”

This is from their website. http://www.wahagrill.com/boycott-of-the-nglcc.html
    I will say they do make a yummy burger, but is it worth supporting this kind of crazy?

1. Shannon

I checked out the link you posted in your comment to the Waha Grill. I don’t know that I would say they are “crazy”, actually, despite their beliefs being different than yours, I think they were very well spoken about it. They very simply said that they do not wish to support the NGLCC because it is not in line with their Christian beliefs. They also state that they are not against “gay-friendly” companies, as they don’t condone bullying or the like, and they also say that they would never refuse service to anyone or tell someone to leave because they might believe differently. Despite two very opposite opinions, I think they come off respectful to what others might think, but that doesn’t mean they have to alter their beliefs to accommodate someone else.

5. Sweet Vermouth

Whenever someone is so vehemently anti-gay, I automatically assume they are a self-loathing closeted homosexual. Why all of the hate otherwise?

6. anne marie

ugh, another h8er! he’s just jealous cause no one ever touches HIS leg under a table! and who the hell would want to?

7. MJ

I see 2 lesbians and one pillow biter in his staff photo. Big Earl doesn’t so much look gay as like that creepy uncle in every family whose nieces dread hugging him. That is one mustache ride no one wants to get in line for.

8. JustRhon

I thought the shop in my town that advertises as selling live bait and prom dresses was as strange as it comes but Big Earl’s takes the prize. I suppose it isn’t surprising that someone who thinks that it is acceptable to offer worms and a sit down meal side by side also thinks it is acceptable to be a bigoted asshat.

9. John P

Dont bother looking at their site, I am amazed they were able to put one together to begin with. One big ol run on sentence about ship wheels and lots of other things to look at.. Yes, thats literally what they said.
    Here is their email address so you can send them something similar to what I did and fill up their inbox.
    Bigearlspittsburg@gmail.com

10. Dogtroep

I’m guessing that if it weren’t illegal, they would also have a sign up about not serving Black people.

11. Denise in WI

I notice that it says on their website that Big Earl “…loves to pick on people.” That place sounds like the ninth circle of hell to me.

Who advertises their email address these days? Don’t they know that spammers are unscrupulous and it’s possible to rig an email address to send email on a continuous loop. Why, someone could have rigged over three hundred emails in the time it took to write this message…

13. Shannon

As a Christian, my beliefs in regard to being gay lie with what the bible says. HOWEVER, you will never hear me use derogatory or hateful language about or to someone who is gay. I’ve had many, many close friends who were gay, they knew my beliefs, and no one cared. Why? Because I thought they were awesome people that I had fun hanging with – and vice versa. My point is this – we’re all free to believe what we want, but we are NOT here to judge or be ugly to one another. Showing love and kindness, despite differences in opinion or beliefs, will ALWAYS be better than acting with hate and anger.

1. MarkBoston

you seem like a reasonable religious person Shannon. Can you tell me why such a multitude of followers of Jesus Christ use the old testament to attack gays ? They keep saying it’s their religious belief in being gay is a sin YET obvious to ALL , only seem to cherry pick the ” gay sin” out of all the hundreds of others . The sins that would apply to themselves and their families . such as stoning to death your child who back talks a parent . or stoning a adulterer . or the sin of Divorce .. the list goes on … The bigoted side of Christianity created a Boogie man to attack as they feel its one sin they are safe from if they are heterosexual . They dont even follow the teachings of their christ . He said NOTHNG at all about gays. Not one word. Christanity believes the death of jesus abridged the sins of the old testament .. do you see the hypocrisy here seen by non christians ?

14. Sharon

O am working my way through reading your whole blog. (… and I still refuse to admit to stalking you.)
    Every one of your posts have made me laugh, except this one.
    It made me cry.
    For two guys who had a few minutes to spend together and thought they would have a quick meal and were treated like lepers.
    And… for a skinny kid who was abused by idiots in high school who wouldn’t know what a real friend was if they fell over one.

15. Bara

Hey, I am from Europe and I always thought that Texasan people with names like “Big Earl and Lil’ Earlietta” and with mustaches, proud sexism/homophobia and cookie jars in the shape of Jesus are just something the TV show us to laugh at “stupid Americans”, but that its a satire and that these people don’t, in reality, exist.

Now that I have learned that people like this really DO exist, suddenly all I want is to visit Texas and go look the living freaks myself (maybe order something big and nice and fatty and while paying say something like “Well, I must regain strength after that abortion I had, don’t I?”).