Restaurants are always trying to find new ways to make the dining experience better for their customers. In the future, waiters will probably be replaced by robots and iPads so that restaurant owners won’t have to pay a wage to us lowly servers. Well, the future is here. Thank you to reader Adam, who writes the blog Hair-Raising Hell, for alerting me to a new-fangled contraption he encountered while dining at Pizzeria Uno. (I know that it is now called Uno’s, but when I worked there it was called Pizzeria Uno and that is what it will always be in my heart.) It’s called a kiosk and it basically lets you do away with your waiter for a good portion of your meal. Having never seen one myself, I can only assume that it lets customers order more drinks and dessert and then pay their check. That’s just great. We servers are soon to be relegated to food runners and if you think people are going to tip after using a kiosk, you can think again. But what about all the things that servers do that a kiosk can’t? Let me count the ways:
- A kiosk will never be able to give you a warm and thoughtful hello that you in return will ignore completely.
- A kiosk will never be able to compliment your pantsuit in an effort to get a 1% higher tip.
- A kiosk will not be able to flash its tits to straight guys.
- A kiosk will not be able to give a big fake ass laugh when a customer says, “Why is my burger taking so long? Did you have to go kill the cow?”
- A kiosk will not be able to turn down the air conditioning because you are sitting directly under a vent and you just got over a cold and it’s very important that the temperature of the whole entire restaurant be determined by you and only you, you fucking bitch.
- A kiosk can’t give you a coloring book so that your kid will draw on paper instead of the fucking wall.
- A kiosk will never be able to tell you discreetly that your credit card has been declined. It will just flash DECLINED so that everyone at your table will know that your broke ass can’t keep up with your minimum payments. A waiter would be able to hand you your declined card discreetly and save you the embarrassment.
- A kiosk can’t give you more lemon wedges and I bet there is not button on there that says “My coffee isn’t hot enough” or “The Coke is flat.”
- A kiosk will not be able to accept phone numbers.
- A kiosk will not rush to your table when your child knocks over the glass of milk that you wanted in a “big girl cup” instead of the one with the lid.
- A kiosk will never be able to feed your ego because a kiosk won’t be impressed when you whip out your black American Express card.
- A kiosk will not respond to finger snapping or whistles and I know a lot of customers really enjoy doing that. Those assholes will miss that.
- A kiosk will not be able tell you how good the special of the night is. It will only have a written description of it but a server will have tasted it and be able to give you a first hand description of it.
- A kiosk can’t flirt with you.
- A kiosk will never be able to tell you thank you for coming in and really mean it. Every once in a while I truly enjoy the interaction I have between a customer and I actually mean it when I tell them “I am glad you came in tonight. Thank you.”
Here is the picture Adam sent in. Beware. If you see it, ask for a real server and let’s keep these things out of restaurants.